My 6 Step Routine for Acne Free Skin

By Joe Success - 10:04 AM

My 6 Step Routine for Acne Free Skin


Here’s a few tried and true acne home remedies that are simple, contain no chemicals, and can be found in your own kitchen.
Acne and I, until recently, have had what seems like an inseparable relationship. Many products and medications, both cheap and expensive, have graced my bathroom sink all claiming the same thing; this is going to cure your acne. Well, it didn’t, and for those that DID show some promise, the results didn’t last long.
Now, I could go into my whole story about my acne, but you see, that would take ages to write about (actually, it’s taken almost 100 pages…this is foreshadowing 😉 ) because it’s quite a long story.
These simple tips are only the topical side of my skincare regimen. It may not cure your acne (since acne is largely an internal issue) but it certainly is a huge step in the right direction.
1. Honey Cleansing in the Morning
In the AM, I wash my face with Manuka Honey. The best Manuka Honey to use for acne prone skin is one with a bioactivity of 12 or more, I use 16+ by this company.
After rinsing my face with warm water, I massage ½ tsp of Manuka Honey (you can substitute with any raw honey) into my skin, and then rinse.
The amazing antibacterial properties of honey effectively inhibit the growth of acne causing bacteria. Breakouts become less frequent, your skin becomes smoother, and the best part, no chemicals! On top of that, honey is a great way to remove excess oil and balance the skin’s sebum production and PH.
For more on honey cleansing, check out this article by Our Heritage of Health!
2. Rose Water Toner
Mornings and evenings I spray my face liberally with rose water (aka rose hydrosol). The rose water contains PH balancing properties that keep the skin’s acid mantel in tip top shape, very important for clear skin! It’s anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and smells fantastic. (you can get rose water here or learn how to make your own here.)
If you don’t have any rose water, substitute with raw apple cider vinegar diluted in equal parts spring water OR rose infused witch hazel.
You can read more about the amazing benefits of rose water here, the benefits of apple cider vinegar here, and 7 different ways to use witch hazel here.
3. Jojoba Oil Moisturizer
Putting more oil on your face may sound counterintuitive, but trust me, jojoba oil is the best natural moisturizer I’ve ever used. It really works.
When I first started using it as a daily moisturizer, it took a few weeks for my skin to adjust. I broke out a little (which kinda freaked me out, not gonna lie), but then it suddenly started to clear up, I broke out less often, and my skin became way less oily! I also started to add essential oils for added benefits.
Adding essential oils to your jojoba oil will make it antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, soothing, and refreshing. (get my favorite jojoba oil here.)
Some of my favorite essential oils to use are:
• Lavender
• Tea Tree
• Thyme
• Rosemary
• Moroccan Blue Chamomile
• German Chamomile
• Geranium
The typical preparation for adding an essential oil to your carrier oil (in this case your jojoba oil), is to add 10-12 drops essential oil for every 1oz of carrier oil. I normally only add a single essential oil to my jojoba oil at a time to keep it simple unless I’m making a concoction.
(Where to buy the BEST Essential Oils)
4. Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Manuka Honey Spot Treatment/Scrub
This stuff is awesome and hands down one of the best spot treatments I’ve ever used. It’s super effective!
I mix equal parts Manuka Honey (again, you can substitute raw honey here…I like this one ) with cinnamon. Add a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (you can use already ground nutmeg in a pinch as long as it isn’t too old, we’re looking for it’s healing essential oils) and mix well into a paste that is neither too thick nor too runny, but somewhere in the middle.
Apply a small amount to blemishes and let it sit for as long as you like. Sometimes I leave it on for hours when no one’s home. Just be sure not to apply it to broken or very irritated skin. I like to store mine in a small container and keep it in the fridge for a more soothing effect. You can also use this as a facial scrub to dislodge stubborn blackheads. Use twice a week.
5. Clay Mask
Using a clay mask at least once a week is one of the best way to extract impurities from the skin. I like to make a ritual out of it by applying my favorite clay (rhassoul clay) while in the bath (get it here). I let it sit till it dries, then wet my face, exfoliate with it, and then rinse it off. Afterwards I like to steam my face with a wet cloth and gently wipe my face. Blackheads will pop right out if there are any left.
The clay can also be used in the bath itself to soften and purify the skin for a luxurious bath.
You can read more about my favorite clay here.
6. Oil Cleansing in the Evening
At night I like to remove any mineral make-up and impurities from the day with oil. Yep, more oil! This time though, I like to use either extra virgin olive oil or hemp seed oil as my natural cleanser. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but it’s turned out to work well for me. (for those of you who cannot use these oils to cleanse, try jojoba oil instead).
It removes all traces of make-up (even mascara), dirt, and sebum, leaving my skin soft, clean, and supple. Just apply 1 tsp of oil to dry skin and gently massage around your face. Be careful when removing mascara not to get it in your eye. Rinse with warm water and follow with the rose water toner and then the jojoba oil moisturizer. Your oil production will normalize and your skin will be smooth and moisturized.
The oil cleansing method is super awesome considering it’s just one ingredient! You can read more about the Oil Cleansing Method here.

Why go Natural?

Natural is just better! Instead of slathering on toxic chemicals, stripping your skin’s acid mantle, and dousing it in synthetic lotions and potions, you’re loving and nurturing your skin. Simple ingredients = simple solutions. Incorporating simple, natural ingredients into your skin care routine is the best natural acne treatment there is.
Sourcehttp://www.holistichealthherbalist.com

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments